Monday, November 30, 2009

TO NY WITH MY BOY

Ok, so I fell off the face of this blog for a while, but with one more blog about the Use Your Sole tour to post, I figured I should finish (plus my friend Adam - Hi Adam! - asked me when my next blog would be written) so....here it is! By the way, just to be clear, Adam is NOT a Hanson fan. :)

It's interesting to go to a show with a nine year old. For one, I'm in Mommy mode, so it's a different experience for me (and I must act more appropriately and responsible, like say, someone's mom). With a child in tow, you are almost guaranteed attention from band members and fans alike (rather, Ryan is guaranteed attention) and this has been the case at both Hanson walks/shows I have brought him to. Last year we ventured to Foxboro, MA. I was very apprehensive about bringing a child into this setting, but the fans were GREAT and treated Ryan quite well, as did the Hansons. Ryan drew a picture of the guys, and delivered it personally to Zac, who took some time to thank him, talk to him, and sign his shirt (as did Isaac). Zac even sought us out at the end of the walk to talk with Ryan a bit more. Ryan's cute little face also scored us VIP seats at the very packed show, and free water bottles from the security staff.

This year, Ryan and I traveled to Clifton Park, NY (just north of Albany) to again walk with the boys and see a show. On the walk Ryan was approached by Isaac and Zac (Taylor was down for the count with the flu) and two members of the band Sherwood, Mikey and David. It's pretty funny to watch him when he talks to these guys, because he's completely unfazed by the whole thing. It's just like he's talking to any other adult, which in reality is exactly what he's doing. Having him there changes my perspective on the experience. I haven't decided yet if that is a good thing or not.

It was funny watching my nine year old "belly up" to the bar for a soda (which got a few laughs from nearby patrons), approach Mikey and David after their set for an autograph (which they very graciously gave - it said "Dear Ryan, Sherwood is your friend! Love, Mikey and David"), and just soak in the surroundings - the music, the "rock star" moves, the crazy dancing fans, the Yankee game that was on during the show on about 10 tv's. We have had a few interesting conversations about intoxicated audience members (one girl he witnessed in Foxboro could barely stand up, was finally kicked out by security, and apparently immediately arrested at the door for heroin use), but all in all they have been positive experiences (thanks to Hansons' family friendly image), and have been great bonding opportunities that I hope he will always remember. The thing I enjoy most is when we come home, and he retreats to the "stage" (in our basement) to act out all that he has taken in. I am including a link to the music video Ryan and his sister Sara made as an example of their rock star moves (which I think are a combination of Hanson, Jonas Brothers, AC/DC, and the Jack Black character in the movie "School of Rock").

Soooo....the next Hanson tour supposedly takes place in summer 2010. Will I blog before then? Maybe. Who knows what epic journeys will transpire between now and then?


No comments:

Post a Comment